Star Salad with Sesame Balsamic Vinaigrette and Belgian Chocolate Curls
The Star Conservatory Restaurant's pretty-as-a-picture salad is made even more whimsical with chocolate curls that add a sweet finish.
Ingredients - Sesame Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 3/4 cup olive and canola oil
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp black sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp white sesame seeds (toasted)
- 1/4 tsp minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cucumber slices, cut lengthwise or mandolined
- one bag (142 g) spring mix greens
- 1/4 cup grated carrots
- 1/3 cup diced roasted red pepper
- 1/2 red onion, sliced into rings
- 1/4 cup sliced strawberries
- Belgian chocolate curls
- One small bar Belgian chocolate, milk or dark
Method - Vinaigrette
- Shake all ingredients together. Store refrigerated for up to two weeks. Shake well before each use.
- Make sure chocolate bar is at room temperature.
- Slowly draw a vegetable peeler lengthwise down the side of chocolate.
- Refrigerate curls for 10mins to set.
- Curl cucumber into a ring on plate and pinch at end.
- Fill center with a handful of mixed greens.
- Carefully place carrots, roasted red pepper, red onion and strawberry on top.
- Drizzle with dressing.
- Garnish with chocolate.
Yield 4 servings